Recommended resources relevant to microfinance, development, and Guatemala.
Friendship Bridge in the news
- The Guatemalan PPI – a retrospective of 5 years of use at Friendship Bridge, Friendship Bridge (Caitlin Scott) and Innovations in Poverty Action
- When Dreamers become Leaders: Understanding a spectrum of needs among women entrepreneurs in Guatemala (download full report here), Friendship Bridge and Freedom from Hunger
- Q&A: Impact on Women, Global Partnerships blog
- Boulder Nonprofit, Guatemala artisans share common thread, Boulder Daily Camera
- Delivering Sustainable Health Services through Microfinance, Global Partnerships
- Sustainable Health Solutions for People Living in Poverty in Latin America, Global Partnerships
Books & Articles
- Banker to the Poor: Micro-lending and the Battle Against World Poverty, Muhammad Yunus Aurum Press, 1998
- Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism, Muhammad Yunus Public Affairs, 2007
- Development as Freedom, Amartya Sen Knopf, 1999
- The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for our Time, Jeffrey Sachs Penguin Press, 2005
- The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty through Profits, C. K. Prahala Wharton School Publishing, 2004
- Half the Sky: Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide, Nicolas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn Knopf, 2009
- The Microfinance Revolution: Sustainable Finance for the Poor, Marguerite Robinson World Bank Publications, 2001
- The Miracles of Barefoot Capitalism: A Compelling Case for Microcredit, Jim Klobuchar and Susan Cornell Wilkes Kirk House Publishers, 2003
- Pathways Out of Poverty: Innovations in Microfinance for the Poorest Families, ed. Sam Daly-Harris Kumarian Press, 2002
- Price of a Dream: the Story of the Grameen Bank and the Idea that is Helping the Poor to Change their Lives, David Bornstein Simon & Schuster, 1996
- Women at the Center: Grameen Borrowers After One Decade, Helen Todd University Press Ltd, 1996.
- Family Photos and Mass Graves Reveal Horrors of Guatemala’s Civil War, National Geographic, 2015.
- The Secrets in Guatemala’s Bones, New York Times, 2016
View resource list (PDF).
Books for Sale
We highly recommend the following books, which are written by friends and supporters of Friendship Bridge. You can read summaries of the books and purchase them in our online store.
- Traditional Weavers of Guatemala: Their Stories, Their Lives by Deborah Chandler and Teresa Cordón
- Los Coyotes Tienen Suerte by Robert Hinshaw
- My Lake at the Center of the World by Robert Hinshaw
- The Rape of Hope by Robert Hinshaw
- Doing Good…Says Who? by Connie Newton and Fran Early