Recommended resources in the news regarding Friendship Bridge, microfinance, international development, and Guatemala.
In the News
- Watch Microlending in Action at a Guatemalan Beading Business – Rick Steves Europe, November 13, 2018
- 5 Organizations Helping Women Entrepreneurs Around the World – Small Business Trends, October 4, 2018
- In the Most Isolated Areas of Latin America, Microcredits are Saving the Lives of Indigenous Women – Univision, March 26, 2018
- The Guatemalan PPI – A Retrospective of 5 Years of Use at Friendship Bridge – Friendship Bridge and Innovations in Poverty Action. December 16, 2016
- When Dreamers become Leaders: Understanding a spectrum of needs among women entrepreneurs in Guatemala (full report) – Friendship Bridge and Freedom from Hunger, 2016
- Boulder Nonprofit, Guatemala Artisans Share Common Thread – Boulder Daily Camera. January 10, 2016
- Family Photos and Mass Graves Reveal Horrors of Guatemala’s Civil War – National Geographic, 2015.
- Banker to the Poor: Micro-lending and the Battle Against World Poverty – Muhammad Yunus Aurum Press, 1998
- Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism – Muhammad Yunus Public Affairs, 2007
- Development as Freedom – Amartya Sen Knopf, 1999
- The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for our Time – Jeffrey Sachs Penguin Press, 2005
- The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty through Profits, C. K. Prahala Wharton School Publishing, 2004
- Half the Sky: Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide – Nicolas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn Knopf, 2009
- The Microfinance Revolution: Sustainable Finance for the Poor – Marguerite Robinson World Bank Publications, 2001
- The Miracles of Barefoot Capitalism: A Compelling Case for Microcredit – Jim Klobuchar and Susan Cornell Wilkes Kirk House Publishers, 2003
- Pathways Out of Poverty: Innovations in Microfinance for the Poorest Families, ed. – Sam Daly-Harris Kumarian Press, 2002
- Price of a Dream: the Story of the Grameen Bank and the Idea that is Helping the Poor to Change their Lives – David Bornstein Simon & Schuster, 1996
- Women at the Center: Grameen Borrowers After One Decade – Helen Todd University Press Ltd, 1996.
Books for Sale
We highly recommend the following books, which are written by friends and supporters of Friendship Bridge. You can read summaries of the books and purchase them at our online store.
- Traditional Weavers of Guatemala: Their Stories, Their Lives – Deborah Chandler and Teresa Cordón
- Doing Good…Says Who? – Connie Newton and Fran Early
- Los Coyotes Tienen Suerte – Robert Hinshaw
- My Lake at the Center of the World – Robert Hinshaw
- The Rape of Hope – Robert Hinshaw