A lot has happened in the world since 2009—both in the U.S. and Guatemala—but one thing has remained the same: Friendship Bridge’s mission to create opportunities that empower Guatemalan women to build a better life. With your help, we are changing how women in Guatemala see, respond to, and overcome the issues of poverty for themselves, their families, and their communities.
2009 is also when our CEO, Karen Larson, joined the organization. At a time of transition, Karen focused on three specific areas in her early years to ensure the successes of the past could continue: building a sustainable foundation for our clients and organization, improving operations, and investing in employees. Your support has been an essential part of her journey. Back then, we served 11,000 women with microloans, with 75 employees—now, with your help, we empower over 26,000 women and employ 260 staff members across 15 offices throughout Guatemala.
As we close 2022 and Karen prepares to retire from her role as CEO, she is most proud of the lasting impact Friendship Bridge has had on both our clients and our staff during her tenure. She feels incredibly grateful for the trust and commitment she has received from each of you who have contributed to the future of Friendship Bridge. With the solid foundation we have built together, the organization has been able to focus on making a meaningful impact.
Our impact is clear through the recognition we have received, including:
- #1 Best Place to Work for Women in Central America and the Caribbean 2022, by Great Place To Work®
- A 4 Star Charity Navigator rating for a total of 14 years
- A 3rd place ranking in Latin America and the Caribbean in the world’s first microfinance social performance index, against 72 other microfinance institutions in 41 countries
Thanks to your support of Friendship Bridge, you are reducing poverty rates among Guatemalan women and their families, improving their quality of life, and thus changing the trajectory for the next generation. This is lasting impact!
Double your gift:
If you are considering an end-of-year donation, now is the time to double your impact: every donation made before Dec. 31 will be matched dollar-for-dollar (up to $50,000) by a generous group of donors. That means your gift will DOUBLE in value if we can reach our $50,000 goal. Together we can reach even more clients, connecting them with health services, non-formal education, and microcredit to empower themselves and their communities. Your donation today creates a lasting impact for generations.
How your gift will make a lasting impact:
- $100 pays for six Advanced Training classes for clients seeking additional income-generating work
- $500 connects a woman entrepreneur with business mentoring services for five months
- $1,000 provides preventive health services to 17 clients for one month
- $2,500 funds training for 72 clients with a professional agronomist for one month
- $5,000 helps expand our Health for Life program to reach more women in rural areas of Guatemala
Give this year-end and receive tax savings next year:
During the final weeks of 2022, make time to discuss your charitable plans with your family and financial advisors. Everyone’s circumstances are different, making it important to structure gifts in ways that are most beneficial for you.
By completing charitable gifts by Dec. 31, you can be eligible for additional tax savings next April. Please note: We do not provide tax advice and recommend that Friendship Bridge donors consult with their tax advisors for details.